I have been meaning to post this recipe, but never got around to it. While this certainly does not fall into our new Weight Watchers Program, it is too good to keep to myself!
A few weeks back my friend Marya told me about this fantastic recipe she had made over the weekend. I love sharing recipes with Marya because they are usually easy, tasty and often fun. Most importantly the ingredients are accessible. I don't know about you, but nothing drives me crazier than recipes with this one ingredient that you have to travel to India for. Before I go on, this does contain one ingredient that you most likely don't have in your pantry - Tapioca Flour. Out here in California, or at least in San Francisco, it's super easy to find at the supermarket. I am sure any Whole Foods has it. There is one more thing you will need for this - a mini muffin pan. For my first batch Marya lent me her pan as well as provided me with some tapioca flour. Since I can't do that I am just going to say this. The first time I tried these I ordered the pan right away - they are that good! It was only $9.99 and, to my surprise, I have used it for two other recipes already. I have also made these rolls no less than six times!
Now that I got all that out of the way you might be asking, "What are Brazilian Cheese Rolls?" The best way to describe them is they are airy, chewing, cheesy bites of goodness. They are like little popovers in that they puff way up, but the bottom is really chewy. All I can say is I love them. They make a great accompaniment to any meal couldn't be easier to make. All you need is a blender! You can even make the mix ahead of time!
Marya presented me with two recipes for this little goodies: one from Simply Recipes a favorite site of ours; and, the other from Our Best Bites, a site by two Mormon mom's which is also becoming a favorite of mine. I actually tried both recipes on the same weekend. The verdict? Well, I am probably going to get my gay card revoked, but Our Best Bites won hands down. The rolls were much puffier and lighter. There isn't a big difference between the two, but the difference make a difference!
You must try these out. I guarantee you will be making them on a regular basis.
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup tapioca flour (sometimes labeled tapioca starch) no substitutions
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 C grated cheddar cheese* (preferably medium or sharp)
- 1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
* You can use any combinations of cheeses. My favorite is Monterey Jack. You can also add herbs. Last time I added Rosemary and it was delicious!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place egg, milk, oil, tapioca flour, and salt in blender and blend until smooth. Add cheeses and pulse 2 times.
- Immediately pour batter into a mini muffin tin (if your muffin tin isn’t non-stick, spray lightly with non-stick spray first), filling each well about 3/4 full, or just slightly less.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes before removing rolls from pan.
- Serve warm.
These actually don’t reheat well so I recommend making and eating fresh. I can almost guarantee you won't have any leftovers.