Almost every week Joey brings home lemons from his mother's lemon tree. I hate to see them go bad, but I have been running out of ways to use them. The other day we were at the Metreon and saw that the Chronicle Book Store was having a closing sale. Right there was my solution Luscious Lemon Desserts by Lori Longbotham. Right on the cover was this lemon tart that I just had to make. I usually don't like to bake, but I had a tart pan so I decided to take this one on. I was an easy recipe to make and turned out amazing despite the fact that my tart pan was 9-inch and the recipe called for an 11-inch. I didn't notice mine was smaller until I took the shell out of the oven. Ooops! It made the tart a bit more like a huge cooking with lemon filling, but is was still good! I am actually torn between getting the right size pan or continuing with my happy mistake.
The prep for this was pretty easy. I first made the crust and while it was baking made the filling and had it done by the time the crust came out. Total prep was probably 35 minutes. For the recipe I used about 6 small lemons, which was perfect for the zest and gave me a little extra lemon juice.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 pinches salt
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about six small lemons)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Position rack in middle of the oven and preheat to 350°
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp of the zest and let stand for five minutes.
- Whisk together flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl.
- Pour in the butter mixture in a fine stream, stirring with a fork.
- Continue stirring until the dough begins to come together when a small bit is pressed between your fingers.
- Transfer the mixture to the tart pan and press it with your fingertips evenly up the side and into the bottom.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the crust is light golden brown.
- Let cool on a wire rack while making filling.
- Process the remaining 1 cup granulated and the remaining 1 Tbsp lemon zest in a food processor until the zest is finely ground.
- Whisk together the eggs, the sugar and zest mixture, lemon juice and another pinch of salt in medium bowl until smooth.
- Beat the heavy cream with an electric mixer on medium-high in a medium bowl just until it forms soft peaks.
- Whisk the cream into the egg mixture just until blended.
- Place the crust on a baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Pour the filling into the still warm crust.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, or until filling is just set in the center.
- Let the tart cool on a wire rack.
- Before serving sprinkle with powdered sugar.