One of the greatest treats of the spring is that asparagus is plentiful and affordable. For many years I had just one asparagus recipe that was tried and true, but I really wanted to try something different. In the same episode of Danny Boone's Rescue Chef that with the Molten Chocolate Baby Cakes was this recipe for Pan-Friend Asparagus with Shallots. The recipe seemed too simple to be true, but Danny's infectious way of saying "shallot" (like "a lot") coaxed me to give it a try. My goodness, I am so glad I did. Despite it's simplicity, it is one of the best asparagus dishes I have ever made. This recipe really goes to show you don't need a lot of fancy ingredients or techniques to creat an amazing dish.
- 1 pound asparagus, thinly sliced on a bias
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the shallot and cook for 1 minute then add the asparagus.
- Cook for 5 minutes and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Serve warm.