There isn't really a whole lot you need for the Master Cleanse. Basically it's just fresh lemons, Grade B Maple Syrup, Cayenne Pepper and Purified Water. That's it!
Now you really do need to read the book. Click here for a downloadable PDF of the original text. (I found this online and am not profiting from it.) Please read it thoroughly. If you would like a more updated version, you can buy this book on Amazon. I only read the original, but the more contemporary book is a good option.
I really recommend that you make your entire batch of lemonade for the day. This is the recipe I followed each morning:
- 60 oz water per day (or 10 oz per glass)
- 12 tablespoons Organic Grade B Maple Syrup (or 2 tbsp. per glass)
- 12 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (or 2 tbsp. per glass)
- a little over half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper (or 1/10 tsp. per glass) or to taste
Making it each morning was really a time-saver and helped me get through the day easily. I put it in a thermos and shook it up each time I needed a drink, which was about every hour. Now you really don't have to have a thermos. If you look at the picture above, you can see that we used Coffee Mate containers to store our lemonade for travel. Whatever works for you. Just make sure it's easy to get to and travels well if you need to travel.
There really isn't a lot of equipment involved in this at all, but you DO need a juicer. I have a KitchenAid mixer, so I bought a juicer for that as you can see by the picture on the right.
Joey didn't have a KitchenAid, so I bought him the Black & Decker Juicer you see pictured. You can get it on Amazon or just go to Target. It's only about $20 and I promise you will thank me for this advice!!! Honestly, having a juicer not only saves you money, as you get more juice, but tons and tons of time.
There were two websites that really helped me get through this cleanse. The first I had read long ago, but her journal is really helpful. The second is one I stumbled upon and this guy's approach is just so down to earth it really resonated with me.
As I have said, this is my own personal experience, but having said that here is some advice I have regarding this cleanse:
- Do it with someone. Having Joey there doing this with me made all the difference in the world.
- Tell the world about it. Yes, shame yourself into doing this. I posted it all over Facebook so I was bound and determined to finish this thing.
- Don't listen to all the ney-sayers that tell you this is bunk. The only person you should be taking advice from is your doctor. Most of the people that object to this no nothing about it.
- Weekends are the worst. It's amazing how much our lives revolve around food. If you can get through the weekend, you have won half the battle.
- Plan, plan, plan! Plan how you are going to approach this, how you will make it to work, and what you are going to eat when you are done.
- Always remember...This is only TEN days of your entire life. You can do it! If I did anyone can!