One must really take advantage of the fresh fruit that's in season during the summer. Now Max, Joey and I LOVE blueberries. (Well, Max likes his one at a time, so I guess we should say, "Max loves a blueberry." See the video below.) Blueberries are truly at their best during the summer and they are much cheaper than other times of the year!
I have tried so many crisp and crumble recipes and always failed. I finally found one courtesy of one of my favorite Food Network stars, Dave Lieberman. Let me tell you, Dave makes some awesome desserts. This is one of my new favorites. It's just delicious. Heat it up and serve with vanilla ice cream or fat free whipped topping!
For the topping:
- 4 ounces pecan pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups rolled (old-fashioned) oats
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A couple pinches salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butte,r cut into small pieces
- 2 pints fresh blueberries
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the topping: Put all topping ingredients in a bowl and rub together with your hands until mixture sticks together in small clumps.
- Pour the blueberries into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Squeeze the lemon juice over the berries, sprinkle the sugar and flour over them and toss until the berries are coated with sugar.
- Scatter the topping over the berries in an even layer. Bake until the topping is golden brown and the berry juice is bubbling up through the topping, about 45 to 50 minutes.
Now for a special treat, here is a video of Max's first blueberry.