My friends Tom and John have this amazing garden in Sonoma. The other day Tom came into work with a zucchini for me that was the biggest zucchini I have ever seen. If you worked with us you can imagine the jokes about it. :-)
Since I didn't know what to do with this thing the obvious choice was Zucchini Bread. I searched my cookbooks and couldn't find anything that inspired me so I turned to the net. I found this recipe on Recipezaar, one of my very favorite cooking sites. It was submitted by MizzNezz. I made four loaves today and they are amazing! Just thought I would share it with you!
The bread has this crunchy top that I think is from the orange juice and the apple sauce. It's moist, not too sweet and very flavorful. This certainly deserves one big, YUMMO!!!!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnut
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large bowl, mix sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Beat until well blended.
- Add zucchini, applesauce and orange juice; stir well.
- Combine flour with next 5 ingredients.
- Add to zucchini mixture; stir well.
- Add nuts; stir gently to combine.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9in loaf pans.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes; till toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and let cool completely.